As chair of the firm’s estate planning and probate group, Laura Hoexter’s practice focuses on wills, trusts and estates. She works with individuals to help them establish foundational documents, such as tax-saving wills and living trusts, financial and health care powers of attorney, and health care directives. She addresses complex issues that may arise, including non-citizen status, retirement benefit planning and life insurance arrangements. Laura has significant experience helping clients meet their more advanced estate planning goals, including the formation of charitable trusts and private foundations, as well as all types of irrevocable trusts such as life insurance trusts, special needs trusts, and qualified personal residence trusts.
One of Laura’s favorite projects is helping people achieve the dream of owning a business. She assists clients with the formation of limited liability companies, partnerships, S-corporations, and other suitable entities. Then she ensures those entities run efficiently by providing comprehensive operating agreements, and arranges for appropriate exit strategies to ensure a smooth succession to the next generation of owners.
When a loved one passes away, families are faced with many issues at a difficult time. Laura works with the personal representatives (executors) to alleviate the burdens faced by the survivors in order to achieve a smooth administration of the estate. She provides a detailed overview of the probate process, prepares the paperwork necessary to probate an estate, and simplifies the difficult financial decisions involved.
Laura is the past president of the East King County Estate Planning Council, an Officer of Seattle Philanthropic Advisors Network (SPAN) and is a member of many other local organizations including Washington Women in Tax, Seattle Estate Planning Council, the GSBA, and QLaw. Laura volunteers her time at many local clinics, including Wills for Heroes, which provides wills for our local police and firefighters.
- University of Washington School of Law (LL.M., Taxation, 1996)
- University of Washington School of Law (J.D., 1993)
- McGill University (B.A., Economics, 1990)
- AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5 rating by Martindale Hubbell
- Rated 10.0 out of 10 by AVVO.com
- 2017 – 2009: Top Attorney by 425 Magazine, “Best of Issue”
- 2015, 2013: Top 50 Washington Women Super Lawyers
- 2017 – 2012: Top Women Super Lawyers by SeattleMet Magazine
- 2017 – 2007: SuperLawyer by Washington Law & Politics Magazine / Seattle Met Magazine
- 2017 – 2010: Five Star Professional Estate Planner/Wealth Manager
- 2017 – 2014: Best Lawyer
- 2014 – 2010: Quoted in New York Times and on multiple radio shows
- 2013: Top Rate Lawyer by American Lawyer Media
- 2011: Featured on National Public Radio’s Morning Addition
Content by Laura Hoexter
- Dynasty Trusts: Leaving Assets to Children
- Will Valuation Discounts for Family-Controlled Entities be Eliminated?
- Washington State’s New Digital Assets Act
- Gifting and Leveraged Gifting
- Preventing Tax Scams
- The Case of the Casket
- How Celebrities Keep Their Addresses Private
- Irrevocable Trusts
- Taxpayers Win a Huge Victory against the Department of Revenue
- Is Your Facebook Account Part of Your Estate Plan?
- Basic Estate Planning: Single Person
- Probate in Washington State
- Basic Estate Planning: Married Couple
- Saving for Education
- Asset Protection Planning
- Estate Planning with Digital Assets