Sam is an associate in the firm’s Real Estate and Land Use Practice Group, and his practice focuses primarily on real estate transactions and litigation, land use and zoning issues, and commercial litigation.
Sam provides legal services to individuals, businesses, real estate developers, homeowners’ associations, and real estate professionals in a broad range of real estate transactions and disputes, including in matters involving residential and commercial properties, development and zoning, common interest communities, and general commercial litigation and transactions. Another area in which Sam advises clients is in interpreting the evolving regulatory landscape for short-term rental and vacation rental operators, and providing transactional support to maximize and protect his clients’ investments in their properties.
Sam also assists clients involved in the sports industry in navigating the myriad of legal issues they face, including negotiating and drafting contracts and other commercial agreements, providing advice and counsel on corporate, strategic, and regulatory issues, and resolving disputes through negotiation, arbitration, mediation, or litigation if necessary.
Prior to joining Helsell Fetterman in 2013, Sam was a Presidential Law Scholar at Seattle University School of Law, and gained broad experience during law school as an extern at the Federal Trade Commission and as an intern at the Washington State Attorney General’s Office and K2 Sports.
Admitted to Practice
- Washington State Courts
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington
- Washington State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Sam enjoys playing soccer and tennis, snowboarding, woodworking, and cooking and trying new foods. A Seattle native, he can be found rooting year round for a litany of local sports teams – the Mariners, Huskies, and Seahawks, and of course his beloved Zags
Content by Samuel Winninghoff
- Governor Inslee Issues New Guidance for Real Estate Brokers
- Federal Antitrust Lawsuit Driving Changes to Increase Transparency and Flexibility of Real Estate Broker Commissions
- Seattle City Council Considering Legislation Restricting Single-Family Home Development
- Washington Implements Graduated Real Estate Excise Tax at the State Level
- Mandatory Housing Affordability Legislation Passed by Seattle City Council and Signed by Mayor Durkan
- Seattle-Based Zillow Under Fire in New Jersey Federal Court
- Essential Considerations for Short-Term Rental Operators
- New Seattle City Ordinances Impose Restrictions on Short-Term Rental Operators