Probate and Estate Planning: John Ederer has had extensive experience in the planning of estates for individuals with diverse planning needs. He has prepared many wills, insurance trusts, trusts for gifting to minors, and residential trusts for individual clients. He has also represented clients in the gifting of assets, the probate of wills, the preparation of estate and gift tax returns, and the valuation and distribution of estate assets.
Business and Real Property Law: John has represented small to medium-sized businesses on an ongoing basis. He has assisted clients in forming, purchasing and selling businesses, corporations, partnerships, and sole proprietorships. He has provided day-to-day business advice and document preparation, including buy-sell agreements and the purchase, sale, lease and development of real property.
Special Master and Mediator: John has been appointed by federal judges in the Western and Eastern Districts of Washington to serve as a Special Master in antitrust litigation, a securities case, and an international dispute involving computer program rights. He was charged with the responsibility of supervising discovery and ruling on discovery issues. In addition, John has served as a mediator in numerous cases, both as a volunteer under Federal Rule 39.1, Settlement Now, and for compensation.
- Bar Associations: Washington State, King County, East King County, and Western District Federal, and American Bar Association
- Former Secretary and Treasurer, Federal Bar Association
- Member, Federal Bar Court Congestion Committee
- Member, Civil Rule 39.1 Committee
- Chairman, Federal Bar Association Judicial Selection and Appointment Committee
- Former Vice Chair, Chair and Member, Executive Committee of the State Bar Association Antitrust Section
- Former Chair, President and Member of the Board of Directors, United Way of King County
- Former Chair and Member of the Board of Directors, Seattle Goodwill
- Member, Diocesan Council of the Diocese of Olympia, Episcopal Church from 1989 through 1993
- Former Chair and Member of the National Episcopal Cursillo Committee
- Member, Governing Board for the State of Washington Developmental Disabilities Endowment Trust Fund
- Former Member of the Board of Directors, University of Washington Quarterback Club
- Former President, University of Washington Seattle-King County Alumni Club
- Member, Bellevue Breakfast Rotary Club
John was one of four lawyers and judges nominated by Senator Daniel J. Evans for consideration for appointment in 1981 as a Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Washington.
John was one of the editors of the handbook entitled Washington Antitrust Law Developments and published by the Antitrust Section in 1985. He was also the author of the section entitled “Antitrust Class Actions.”
In December 1984, John was Co-Chair of a Washington State Bar Association continuing legal education seminar entitled “Litigation Management: Cost Effective Methods of Handling Litigation.” He spoke on the subject of “Alternatives to Trial in State and Federal Court under the Civil Rules.” In May 1988, John spoke on the subject of “Antitrust Compliance and Counseling” at the Pacific Northwest Antitrust Institute.
- University of Washington Law School (J.D., 1966)
- University of Washington (B.A., Accounting, 1963)
John is a native of Seattle. He worked as a summer clerk at Helsell Fetterman for two years during law school and joined the firm as an associate in 1966. He was a partner from 1971 until 1998 when he became of counsel.